The cost of your appointment is $45.00. Payment is due at the time of scheduling. If your payment or other approved methods are not made in a timely manner, your appointment time is not reserved. Appointment fees do not include license fees charged by the Secretary of State.
If you cancel your appointment no later than 24 hours before your appointment, the appointment fee will be refunded or applied towards the cost of a rescheduled appointment.
Please be on time. If you are late, you will forfeit your appointment and fee.
The skills test is conducted outside. Appointments will be rescheduled if weather conditions in Lawton do not meet state requirements. If the weather may be questionable to you, please call to confirm the appointment.
What You Need to Bring
- valid driver's license
- current legible Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) with Motorcycle (CY) Endorsement
- current and legible registration for the motorcycle
- current and legible proof of insurance for the motorcycle
The rider must bring a "roadworthy" motorcycle to the test. The following is a list of general equipment that must be in operating condition for the test. If these items are damaged, inoperative, or missing, the test will result in an automatic equipment failure.
- one rear view mirror
- head lamp (bright and dim)
- rear lamp and turn signals
- permanently attached seat
- handlebars (no higher than 15 inches from the lowest point of the unoccupied seat)
- helmet (approved by SNELL, USDOT, or ANSI)
- valid license plate on cycle
- seat belt (3 wheel autocycles only)
Applicant Should Be Prepared...
Please refer to the Michigan Motorcycle Operator Manual as issued by the Secretary of State. It is available at your local Secretary of State's office or you can download a PDF copy here. If you have any questions, please contact us at least 24 hours prior to your appointment.
During the on-cycle test, you will be graded on how safely you handle your motorcycle. You will be tested on:
- Five Foot Left Turn: Highway lanes are between 10 and 12 feet wide. You must show you can turn in half that space riding side by side with another motorcyclist.
- Stop in Box Without Skid: Demonstrate your ability to stop without skidding at a stop sign or light.
- 15-Foot Offset Cone Weave: At a slow speed, demonstrate your ability to avoid potholes and other objects on the pavement.
- 20-24 Foot "U" Turn: Tests your ability to make a "u-turn" on a two-lane highway.
- Quick Stop in a Straight Line: Tests your ability to stop in emergencies.
- Obstacle Avoidance: Most vehicles are approximately 7 feet wide. This test demonstrates your ability to avoid a seven-foot obstacle in the road, yet stay on the pavement.
- Engine Stall: Stalling indicates a rider's lack of clutch and throttle control. Stalling in traffic creates an unsafe situation.